Alleged Bondi Beach Shooters Acted Alone and Received No Preparation in the Philippines, Investigators Say.
The two suspected individuals responsible for the lethal shooting at a Hanukkah event on Bondi Beach, that took 15 lives, reportedly operated independently, per national police.
Investigators additionally revealed that the 50-year-old Sajid Akram, and his son Naveed Akram, 24, journeyed to the Philippines on 1 November. Their travel plans involved arriving in the capital Manila before transiting that same day to Davao City. The father and son returned to Sydney on 29 November.
No Evidence of Training During Stay
Investigators indicate the duo did not receive any form of attack-related training or "planning" during their time in the Philippines. Preliminary findings from local officials suggest they "rarely left" their hotel.
The incident—declared Australia's worst firearm massacre since 1996—has been officially declared a act of terrorism.
"We are currently analyzing the material," the commissioner stated, noting that preliminary assessments show that "the alleged offenders are believed to have been lone actors."
Australian Federal Police Chief Krissy Barrett told reporters on Tuesday that surveillance material documenting the accused attackers' movements in the Philippines had been provided to Australian authorities.
"Our investigation shows little to no indication to suggest these accused individuals were members of a broader terrorist cell, or were acting on orders from overseas entities to perpetrate an attack," the police chief emphasized.
But, the pair were additionally not in the Philippines on a leisure trip, the official noted. She emphasized that, given that the investigation is still active, additional details might surface.
Ideology and Court Proceedings
Previously, Australian leader Anthony Albanese said it appears both accused attackers were "influenced by ISIS" beliefs.
During the shooting, Sajid Akram was shot dead by police. He and his son Naveed—both armed with rifles—are accused of having shot guests at the Jewish festival event.
Naveed Akram, who was injured and taken to hospital after the shooting, has been formally accused of 59 crimes. These include 15 charges of murder and one count of perpetrating a act of terrorism. He is scheduled to face court in April.
Immigration Particulars
In the days following the shooting, border officials in the Philippines indicated that the older suspect had arrived in the country using an foreign passport, while his son used an domestic passport.
The two had declared the metropolis of Davao as their final destination. Their scheduled return flight to Australia was for Sydney.
Davao is a sprawling urban center on the eastern side of Mindanao, the Philippines' primary island in the south. The region is known because, Islamist militants have been known to operate in less developed parts of central and south-western Mindanao.